Friday, June 18, 2010

The Thrifting Bug :: An Eye for Vintage Pyrex



The world of Flickr comes with many amazing projects, photos, and finds. My most favorite pictures to look at (besides sewing projects) is the world of Vintage Pyrex. I have had a longing to start collecting since last year soon after joining the flickr community. Now I do not claim to even know a lot about vintage Pyrex, I only know that it's just so beautiful to me I have to have every piece I can find.


My collection started with the green floral set found at a goodwill for 14.00 (the entire set minus a lid) That was a price I could live with. My second thrift run, or as me and Sophia call it "our treasure hunt" I found a bunch of odd balls in pretty good condition, and it was funny to me that the better looking pieces with no chipped paint nor scratches were labeled brick or brack, and the more used pieces were labeled collectible. The best find was most recently the same goodwill that I found those marvelous green dishes was the red/orange beauty for $7.99. The Friendship pattern is what they call it, and my most favorite. From what I hear it's pretty hard to find unless you pay a lot for it, this one had the matching milk glass lid. (dreamy) 

Many people have decided to charge far more then Pyrex is worth due to the fad of people collecting I am sure. Just like certain fabrics, if a trend calls for it then people believe they can charge more for it. I am having fun with the thrill of looking and staying away from the high prices online. I did find a very cool flickr group that trades pyrex if anyone is interested.


Does anyone else collect Pyrex? Or maybe something similar? I am just curious to know everything about it. Is there something I should know when treasure hunting? The thrill is amazingly great. I always have a great day after finding a piece of this lovely part of my childhood. Of course I hated the look of it as a kid. Funny how that works out.


Does anyone know the names of any of these?

11 comments:

  1. Great finds! Have you come across the blog Pyrex Love? It might interest you, if you're into collecting Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pyrex...I went garage selling when I was in Texas this summer and came across some pyrex and wanted it sooo bad...but since living in AS..just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few pieces, I started with one of the green pieces. Have some other vintage casserole dishes from other mfrs. My holy grail is the colored mixing bowl set my mom had that got away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my mom having so many of those when I was growing up. I had no clue they would be wanted like they are today. I do love the orange one! Thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am obsessed with finding it at a good price also! I visit the antique shops around my house and keep an eye on the new stuff coming in. My favorite pattern right now is the friendship also! I have one of those and am starting to collect a various designs! It is so much fun, and I vow never to pay more than $15 for a bowl when I do find them! I agree, some of them are way overpriced! Good luck in your continued search!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green one is Lazy Daisy (my fav)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you , I thought the green was called spring blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg the green one is the same as my grandma's. I dont event know that's pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the brown specked one with the blue swirl is the Homestead pattern. I currently have one listed on my Etsy site: http://www.etsy.com/listing/48523431/vintage-pyrex-ovenware-refrigerator-dish

    Now that I know what pattern it is, I'll have to add that in the description! Isn't vintage pyrex wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 2 of the mushroom patterns that you have. I love Pyrex. I got mine at a thrift store for $1 for 2 baking dishes with lids...what a deal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go on ebay. You don't have to be a member to look, and eventually you see all the names...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate that you took a minute to read my post.
Please share what you thought about it with a comment.